Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Maybe one day we will have easy cloth and hair control on rigs.

Now, I can't comment on what other companies are using and I'm not talking about our rigs at work. I'm just dreaming of a super simple setup for cloth and hair, so you can "easily" do something like this:



Wouldn't that be a nightmare right now? You might tell the sim what to do on a broad scale, but you can't really animate, shape and tweak their clothes, hair, the napkin, the pillow and the blanket as easily as posing out your rig. Or can you?

2 comments:

Brecht Debaene said...

haha, I don't even know if I'd want to!

seriously! animating it in 2D is hard enough, just imagine having to do it on a superrealistic creature like you would animate at ILM, I don't think you can animate cloth that realistically by hand.

I think james baxter mentioned something along those lines in his interview for the animation podcast.

I don't think it can be done on something with creature vfx. MAYBE on a stylized show though!

never say never! ;)

Jean-Denis Haas said...

Right, sorry, I should have been more clear. On a realistic movie I wouldn't do it unless it's something very specific, sim is your friend in this case. I'm talking more about stylized animation.